Monday, April 9, 2012

Tips from former smokers ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zWB4dLYChM&feature=relmfu

Hey guys. Sorry that this is late, but I completely forgot about the deadline until after the deadline last night. Anyway, I'm sure most of you have seen this ad by now, but I wanted to share it because I feel that it's a perfect example of the course theme. Personally, I was completely shocked after viewing this for the first time, and was somewhat surprised that an ad like this was allowed on air. The before/after effects of smoking were especially striking. While watching this ad, what do you feel? What stands out most about this video? How do the creators of the ad get their point across? Do you think they crossed the line with this ad? Is this an accurate representation of smoking?

5 comments:

  1. When I watched the ad I was scared and disgusted. I think that the shock value really stands out in this commercial because you don't usually see people with these effects of smoking walking around. The creators of this ad didn't cross the line because it is a possibility of smoking, but I don't think it is an accurate representation of smoking. It gives the impression that somewhere down the road you will end up like that if you smoke, but almost all smokers I know have had no major health issues due to smoking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that they definitely used shock value to get their point across in this commercial. Showing the worst case scenario is affective in showing how bad smoking can be. However, it almost makes the commercial a little less pursuasive for people to stop, because some may be tempted to have the "I'll never let it get that bad" mindset. Showing something that severe doesn't always allow the viewers to really connect to it and realize they could be in that condition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly have a hard time watching this commercial. It's extremely repulsive to me. Her voice seems to really get me I guess. She can barely talk which makes her condition seem even worse in my opinion. I agree with Kelsey in the sense that people may have the "I'll never let it get that bad" syndrome. I think it's important to have a strong shock value, but I think it might be over the top to some extent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This entire series of ads really tries to move away from the accepted anti-smoking scare tactic, that is, "Smoking Kills". The point of these is something different, and assumed to be worse, which is smoking doesn't kill everyone. It can do things to you living that can be described as horrifying.

    Basically, the CDC says that you could die, but that's not all that could happen to you. Would anybody really like to end up like anybody shown in these ad campaigns?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that this commercial didn't cross the line, but did do its job. I think the way that they kept adding onto it made the audience feel even more emotional as the commercial continued. Along with James, I view that the voice is the most shocking and stands out bcause it is so different and truly shows the horrible effects of smoking.

    ReplyDelete